This procedure after major weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat and skin and removes excess sagging fat and skin. The result is a more normal appearance to the body, with smoother contours. This is, in essence, the final phase of your total weight loss experience. For more information contact Dr. Christine Blaine.
Body contouring procedures may include:
- Facelift: sagging of the mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Breast lift: sagging, flattened breasts
- Tummy tuck: apron of excess skin hanging over the abdomen
- Lower body lifts: sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift: sagging of the inner, outer and mid-thigh
- Brachioplasty (arm lift): sagging of the upper arms
Each procedure starts with anesthetics. Your choices include intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
All body contouring procedures require large incisions to remove excess skin. In many cases, these incisions may be extensive. While it may have taken you two years or more to lose all the excess weight, it may take equally as long for the results of your body contouring to be complete.
- Body Lift: Incision patterns vary, and may include a circumferential incision around the body to remove the “belt” of excess skin and fat.
- Breast Lift: Incision patterns for lifting a woman’s sagging breasts will be determined based on the amount of skin to be removed. These may include one or a combination of incisions in a circular pattern around the areola, in a line extending from the areola to the breast crease, and horizontally along the breast crease. A breast implant also may be recommended to enhance breast shape and size.
- Arm Lift: Sagging skin in the upper arms is treated with an incision from the underarm area extending along the inside or back of the upper arm. Additional incisions on the arms may be necessary anywhere excess skin has formed sagging pockets. The smoother, tighter contours that result from the upper arm contouring are apparent almost immediately, although initially obscured by swelling and bruising. The ultimate scar will be move obvious when the arms are raised.
- Thigh Lift: Reshaping of the thighs is achieved through incisions in the groin that can extend downward to the knee along the inner portion of the thigh. Improving contours of the outer thigh may require an incision extending form the groin around the hip. Through these incisions Dr. Blaine will tighten tissues for a smoother thigh.