Women are not alone in concern about their appearance, especially regarding their chest. However, in contrast to women, men generally don’t want to see moobs in the mirror. For many, Gynecomastia (an increase in breast tissue in men) is embarrassing and may cause body image stress or anxiety. You may be surprised to learn that according to a study done by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), as many as 65% of adult men experience some amount of Gynecomastia.
Causes of Gynecomastia
One of the most common assumptions about Gynecomastia is that it is found only in overweight individuals. While excess weight may correlate with enlarged breasts, it’s actually caused by an imbalance in estrogen and testosterone levels. Estrogen is often considered the female hormone, but men produce it, just as women produce testosterone, but in smaller amounts. There are many possible causes for this hormone balance upset:
- Natural hormonal changes – swollen breast tissue in puberty is fairly common; generally, it goes away without treatment, but occasionally persists into adulthood.
- Plant oils used in soaps and lotions may have weak estrogen levels and may be associated with Gynecomastia.
- Drugs and alcohol, including Anabolic Steroids, illicit drugs, marijuana and amphetamines.
- Prescribed Medications.ADHD medications that contain amphetamines, such as Adderall
- AIDS medications
- Heart medications
- Anti-androgens to treat conditions with the prostate
- Kidney Failure
- Many other conditions and medications
When a “Bro” Just Won’t Do
Despite their popularity on TV, you’re not likely to find a Manssiere or “Bro” anytime soon. What then, is to be done about Man Boobs?
In some cases, Gynecomastia will lessen over time. For some, simply removing the source of the hormone imbalance is the solution:
- Changing medications
- Reducing excess body fat
- Treating the medical condition causing the hormone disturbance
If you’ve explored a variety of options, stabilized your weight with a healthy diet and exercise routine but still want to reshape your birthday suit, Blaine Plastic Surgery may have the solution. Modification of the breast tissue is done as an outpatient surgery during a Gynecomastia procedure. The operation involves liposuction of the chest and may incorporate other areas of concern such as the belly, back and arms. Final results may take a few months to be visible, but the majority of the pain and swelling dissipate within a week.
Now that you’re ready to show the world the best version of you, give us a call to schedule your complimentary appointment to talk about the best options.
Posted on behalf of
775 Park Avenue Suite 205
Huntington, NY 11743
STATEN ISLAND, NY
1504 Richmond Road
Staten Island, NY 10304