Year after year, breast augmentation surgery remains one of the most common breast plastic surgery procedures performed nationwide. Designed to increase the size of the breasts, a breast augmentation utilizes either breast implants (saline or silicone gel) to provide the additional fullness and volume to the breasts that the patient desires. Previously limited to using implants, more and more patients are consulting for breast augmentations today interested in exploring the option of using their own body fat (via a fat transfer procedure) as an alternative to traditional breast implant options. At Blaine Plastic Surgery, we are excited to offer our patients a wide variety of implant options (type, size, shape, profile, and manufacturer) and the ability to use their own body fat to ensure customizable cosmetic results that achieve the very unique and individualized goals of each and every one of our patients.
How Does Breast Augmentation Work?
The goal of any breast augmentation procedure is to enhance the volume of a patient’s chest while also providing patients with the shape, fullness, and projection that they desire. At Blaine Plastic Surgery, we offer a variety of implant options that are expertly selected for each patient based on their anatomy and cosmetic goals. Beginning at the time of your consultation, every effort is made to ensure that the patient is well informed on the many options of a breast augmentation surgery and that they are confident in their surgical plan.
A breast augmentation is an outpatient surgical procedure generally performed under general anesthesia, administered by a Board Certified Anesthesiologist. While incision types do vary, the most common incision is roughly 3cm long and situated in the inframammary crease or breast fold. This incision type, closed with dissolvable and absorbable sutures, offers the patient a very small and well-hidden incision option, that historically has the lowest complication rate when compared to areolar or axillary incision options. Through this incision, an implant is inserted into either the submuscular (below the chest muscle), subglandular (above the chest muscle), or dual plane position. The exact placement of this breast implant pocket is decided upon after extensive consideration of the patient’s preoperative anatomy, lifestyle, desired aesthetic result.
While results are almost immediately apparent, final results do take 6-12 months to see as your body continues to heal, as the swelling continues to subside, and once your implants have been given enough time to settle into their ideal breast position. Downtime from a breast augmentation is usually only 24-48 hours, with most patients returning to work and normal daily activities within a few days of your procedure. For the first 4 weeks following your breast augmentation, you will be encouraged to wear a lightweight compression surgical bra and you will be asked to avoid exercising and heavy lifting during this time frame.
Breast Implant Options
Both saline and silicone gel breast implant options are approved by the FDA and are equally safe. Available in a variety of shapes, sizes, profiles and textures, the choice of implant for a specific patient is carefully decided upon after a full consultation and careful consideration of a patient’s anatomy and desired cosmetic result. The decision between saline, silicone gel and ideal implant breast implant options is highly patient dependent, as each option is appealing to different women. To help aid in the decision-making process, Blaine Plastic Surgery makes every effort to thoroughly review the benefits of each option and will make a recommendation during your consultation based upon your examination, concerns, and surgical goals.
- Saline Breast Implants
- Saline breast implants are in many ways considered the traditional implant option and are FDA-approved for the purposes of breast augmentation in patients who are 18 years of age or older. A silicone shell filled with sterile salt (saline) water, saline implants are often an attractive implant option for younger patients and those patients who are opposed to using a silicone gel breast implant. Many patients find comfort in knowing that should they have any leak, deflation or rupture of their saline breast implant that the saline leaked is safely absorbed and handled by their body. Because a saline implant leak will translate into a visible change in the appearance of one’s breast(s), these leaks are not considered silent and are very easily and quickly identified.
- Silicone Gel Breast Implants
- Silicone gel breast implants are the most commonly requested breast implant options and are filled with medical grade silicone gel housed within a silicone shell. FDA-approved for patients 22 years of age or older, for the purpose of breast augmentation, silicone gel breast implants are often much preferred over saline breast implant options because of the very natural look, feel, and result that they afford. At Blaine Plastic Surgery we offer tradition silicone gel implant options as well as ‘gummy bear’ implants, which have a slightly firmer feel due to the strong cohesiveness of the silicone gel from which they are made.
- Ideal Implants
- Ideal Implants are a new and exciting FDA-approved offering in breast implant options being that for many patients it bridges the gap between saline and silicone gel implants, offering patients the best of both worlds. As a structured saline breast implant option with a double baffled shell, this advanced internal structure controls the movement of the saline within and provides support similar to a silicone gel implant thereby reducing the chances of implant rippling.
- Who are the Best Candidates for Breast Augmentation?
The best candidates for breast augmentation are those patients with fully developed breasts who are unhappy with their breasts’ appearance. This could be due to the breasts being small, asymmetrical, incorrectly developed, or lacking in volume or fullness - often secondary to pregnancy, breastfeeding, aging, and/or weight loss. An ideal candidate for this procedure should also have realistic expectations for the outcome, be well-informed about the procedure and what it involves, and be in good general health.
- What are the Benefits of Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation offers a number of benefits, and for those who are dissatisfied with their appearance, this procedure can provide life-changing results. A breast augmentation is a long-term solution (with implants usually lasting around 10 years) for enhancing the appearance of your breasts, and can positively alter their shape, volume, and overall breast symmetry.
Breast Augmentation with Blaine Plastic Surgery
When you feel your best, confidence in your appearance soars in your day to day life. Blaine Plastic Surgery is dedicated to making your aesthetic goals and dreams a reality. We offer customizable breast augmentation procedures at both of our Huntington, Staten Island, and New York, New York locations, and Dr. Blaine and her dedicated team will work closely with you to select the perfect procedural option. Don’t spend any more time waiting to enhance the appearance of your breasts – contact us today to learn more and take the necessary steps towards obtaining your ideal physical appearance.