A breast lift does exactly that! Also known as a Mastopexy, this breast procedure lifts the breasts, eliminates excess tissue, and tightens loose skin and underlying tissue to restore a higher, more youthful, perkier, and natural breast position and breast contour. This surgical procedure addresses the very common concern amongst women of breast ptosis (sagging) that most commonly occurs as the result of:
- Weight Fluctuations
Performed on its own or in conjunction with a breast augmentation, a breast lift can rejuvenate your breast profile and can translate into functional improvements in a patient’s daily life. At Blaine Plastic Surgery, we are excited to offer our patients customizable cosmetic results and a unique surgical plan individualized to meet the needs of each and every one of our patients.
How does a Breast Lift Work?
The goal of any breast lift procedure is to enhance the profile of a woman’s chest by restoring both a youthful shape and firmness to the breasts. At Blaine Plastic Surgery, a breast lift procedure is routinely performed as an outpatient surgical procedure under general anesthesia administered by a Board Certified Anesthesiologist. While there are a variety of techniques and incision types that can accomplish a breast lift, the most appropriate technique for you will be determined after an in person consultation and examination that evaluates your:
- Current breast size
- Current breast shape
- Breast asymmetry
- Degree of breast ptosis (sagging)
- Position of areolas
- Amount of excess or loose skin
- Skin quality and elasticity
For those patients who desire additional breast volume or more upper pole fullness or firmness that a breast lift alone might not afford them, a breast lift procedure can be paired with a breast augmentation using breast implants. The decision to have a breast augmentation at the time of a breast lift is highly patient dependent, but is a very popular option among patients – especially those who have either lost a significant amount of weight, or those who have had children and who may have breastfed. These procedures can be easily and safely combined in a single surgical setting or can be staged depending upon the needs and goals of the patient.
Regardless of incision or technique employed, the objective of a breast lift is to lift and reshape underlying breast tissue, to remove excess skin while tightening up the skin envelope, to restore the nipple-areolar complex to a natural and more youthful height, and, when necessary, reduce the size of enlarged areolas. And all incisions are closed with dissolvable and absorbable sutures.
While the discussion of incision type will often lead to a discussion about scarring risks, it is important to note that every effort is made to ensure that our patients heal as best as their bodies will allow! At Blaine Plastic Surgery we make every effort to limit the number of incisions, and therefore the amount of scarring, that a patient can expect to have but the best surgical technique and incision type for a successful and long-lasting breast lift will be determined based on how ‘droopy’ the patient’s breasts are.
Breast Lift Incision Types
There are three breast lift incision types that can be utilized to accomplish a breast lift surgery. As mentioned previously, incision type will be dependent on how “droopy” or “saggy” a patient’s breasts are. At the time of your consultation appointment, Dr. Blaine will review your anatomy, discuss each incision type with you in great detail, and make her recommendation to you after considering your anatomy and surgical goals.
- Concentric Lift
- Otherwise known as a benelli or periareolar lift, a concentric breast lift is a breast lift that requires incisions just around a patients areolas. This technique is most commonly and most appropriately used for those patients with very minimal breast ptosis who require very minor breast lifts.
- Circumvertical Lift
- A circumvertical lift pairs the periareolar incision with a vertical component that extends from the base of the areola to the breast crease. As a result of the shape of the incision, this technique is affectionately referred to as a lollipop lift and is one of the most commonly used incision types in breast lift procedures. A lollipop incision as it is most commonly called, allows your surgeon to address greater breast droop, volume loss, and excess skin. This incision type offers patients great long-term results (especially when compared to a concentric lift) as the underlying breast tissue can be easily reshaped and supported.
- Wise Pattern/Inverted-T Lift
- Most commonly known as the anchor incision, a Wise pattern or inverted-T breast lift is usually reserved for those patients who demonstrate a significant amount of breast ptosis, or sagginess, and who exhibit excess and lax skin on both the vertical and horizontal breast planes. This incision type resembles a boat’s anchor, utilizing the incisions of a circumvertical lift and extending these incisions horizontally along the patient’s breast crease.
Breast Lift Recovery
While results are almost immediately apparent, it does take 6-12 months to see your final results. Downtime from a breast lift procedure is usually only 48-72 hours, with most patients returning to work and most normal daily activities within a few days of their procedure. You will be encouraged to wear a lightweight compression surgical bra for the first 4 weeks following your breast lift and you will be asked to avoid any exercising and/or heavy lifting during this time frame as well.
Who are the Best Candidates for a Breast Lift?
The best candidates for a breast lift are those patients with fully developed breasts who are unhappy with their current breasts’ appearance. A breast lift can address various patient concerns beyond just breast drooping, including breast asymmetries and poor breast shape/contour. Any woman who is experiencing breast ptosis can benefit from a breast lift surgery and ideal candidates are those patients who have good skin elasticity and who are at a healthy and stable weight.
Breast Lift with Blaine Plastic Surgery
Blaine Plastic Surgery offers patients customizable procedures to achieve the individual goals of each and every patient. We strive to help our patients not only look but feel their best and our staff is dedicated to making your aesthetic dreams and reality. If you are ready to take the plunge and learn more about your breast lift options, contact us today and take your first step towards obtaining your ideal appearance. With offices in Huntington, Staten Island, and New York, New York Dr. Blaine and her dedicated team of professionals will work closely with you every step of the way.