Scars can often be unwanted memories of trauma or an obvious blemish on an otherwise beautiful surgical result. When injury penetrates the dermis (deeper layers of the skin), the normal body reaction is to trigger a collagen-inducing response in an effort to repair this damage. Collagen is a natural protein found within the body and when our bodies stimulate this ‘repair response’ in the result is the formation of a scar.
If your body can’t generate just the right amount of this skin-repairing protein, the result is often a sunken scar. Other times if your body churns out too much of this protein, the result is a raised scar. Additionally, there are people whose bodies tend to be more prone to scarring, and sometimes a scar’s appearance is exacerbated by certain medical conditions, genetics, and/or the patient’s lifestyle. Different parts of the body can also respond differently to injury, which is why it is hard to predict the way that scars will heal immediately post-injury or post-operatively. Regardless of how or why the scar has occurred, the experts at Blaine Plastic Surgery can help diminish and improve upon the appearance of scars and allow you to live free from its distraction.
Scar Revision Consultation in New York
Patients can be hesitant to explore the various options for treating their scars. That reluctance often comes from the sensitive nature of the subject, and from frustration in not finding prior relief. Our kind, compassionate staff will listen to you, and help create a realistic and customized treatment plan that may include the following treatment modalities:
- Injectable Treatments for Scars
- Steroid injections can often improve the appearance and texture of scars by helping to flatten and fade scars. Often performed as a series of treatments spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart, many patients with raised or hypertrophic scars find relief with these very safe and quick injections. Adversely, those with atrophic scars (deep pits, or pockmarks) can benefit from injections of specific dermal fillers to help re-inflate these depressed areas of the skin.
- Surface Treatments for Scars
- Encouraging new collagen growth and cell turnover is also key in helping to improve the unwanted texture and/or pigment fade away. Chemical Peels, Fractora, Halo, Microneedling, Broad Band Light Therapy (BBL) all have their place in this process and will be selected by your clinician based on your skin type and condition of your scar(s). These treatments are also performed and most effective when done as a series of treatments, the spacing apart of which will be largely dependent upon the appearance and age of your scar(s).
- Surgical Scar Revision Procedure
- Scar revision surgery can immensely improve upon or reduce the appearance of a patient’s scars. Oftentimes a surgical scar revision can also help to restore function to areas of the skin that have been damaged and/or changed as a result. Scar revisions are often considered when other methods of scar improvement have not yielded enough patient satisfaction or when the condition is considered severe enough to warrant a surgical intervention.
- Scar Therapies
- At Blaine Plastic Surgery we are strong proponents of the use of silicone-based scar therapies on all incisions and wounds (surgically or otherwise created) once it has been deemed safe to do so by our clinical staff. While we wait to begin applying these silicone-based scar treatments until the original wound or incision has healed and closed, these treatments have been proven to promote healthy collagen production, reduce friction and irritation of these delicate sites, improves hydration in the area, and acts as a barrier ultimately protecting the scar from the outside environment.
Scar Treatment in New York
Are you concerned with the appearance of your scar(s)? Wherever scarring is visible, the professionals at Blaine Plastic Surgery would be happy to consult with you and determine the best course of action for helping to diminish their unwanted appearance. With several treatment options and surgical techniques at our fingertips, Blaine Plastic Surgery is the trusted option for effective scar treatment in New York. Contact us today to get started.